The Hawksworth Mine dates back to 1913 and was opened by the Greensburg Coal Company. The Greensburg Coal Company, later known as the Greensburg Coal & Coke Company reorganized in Spring of 1913. At this time the Company possessed 450 acres of the Pittsburgh coal seam which was 7 feet thick in this area. The mine was built one mile west of the Greensburg passenger train station on the Pennsylvania Railroad. The coal was owned by the Coulter family and Alex Coulter became president of the new company. Frank Stark sank the shafts to around 140 feet and built the buildings. The steel tipple was built by the American Bridge Company. In 1914 The Greensburg Coal & Coke Company acting as the selling company for the Greenburg Coal Company opened offices in the Commercial Trust Building in Philadelphia.
The mine was electrically powered throughout by the West Penn Power Company. The engine that hoisted the shaft was the first large hoist motor to operate directly off the power line.
Most of the coal was sold to the railroads, some of it for 85 cents per ton when the mine first opened.
The company bought the 25 acre Zellar farm west of Greensburg and built the town that would later be known as Gayville. The mine produced 7.5 million tons of coal and was worked out in the Spring of 1937. The houses were then sold, mostly to the employees who were given first chance at a very low price.
(History taken from City Of Greensburg "A History" ; Coal Industry by W.W. Jamison Jr. 1949)
|We started with the shaft tower and tipple.|
|With a little help from the junkyard dog.|
|Some of the tipple piers.|
|Tipple piers on both sides of the Pennsylvania Railroad siding which served the mine.|
|More tipple piers.|
|Looking across at the hoist house.|
|More tipple piers.|
|Steel beams sticking out of the shaft tower base. According to the Sanborn map, this tower was 75 feet tall and made of iron.|
|Base of the tower.|
|Over to the hoist house.|
|Looking back at the shaft tower and tipple from the hoist house.|
|Roof frame from the collapsed hoist house.|
|Old Peirce 355 insulators.|
|An old piece of mine track leaning against the hoist house.|
|Not the highlight of his bus driving career.|
However, the junkyard dog was very happy to see Mary Jane.
After moving the truck we went back to search for the other mine buildings. When we got back the bus was still there but the passengers walked back to Seton Hill.
The next building was the office building.
Nothing left but the foundation. We did find evidence of a fire at this building.
More mine track laying in the rubble.
Coal chute door. After this we went looking for the sand house on the map. We didn't find it but we did find something so much cooler.
An old rusted out freight trolley car.
These were the only identifying numbers we could locate.
A hinge on the back.
It was almost completely collapsed.
Trolley car from a distance.
Another look at the railroad siding.
Creepy baby doll hanging upside down in a tree.
Next on the list was the fan house. This was cool.
Supports for one the fans.
8 foot tall fan.
| Identifying the manufacturer was way too easy. |
|Even the manufacturing date was intact. Wonder who the guy was making exhaust fans for mines on Christmas Eve 1907.|
|All the fan hardware was intact. I tried turning it but it was stuck in the ground.|
|Massive wheel that turned the fan.|
|Oil cap still intact.|
|The fan from a distance.|
|Another piece of the fan house.|
|Next was the supply house.|
|Not much of anything left here.|
|Old chimney on the supply house.|
The only structure on the map we couldn't find was the car repair shop. Also, extra special thanks to the owner and staff of the junkyard for letting us on the property to explore the mine ruins. Thanks for letting us play with your dog too!!
|Old photo of Hawksworth Mine. (Photo courtesy of Images Of America- Greensburg by P. Louis Derose.) Book is available here: http://www.amazon.com/Greensburg-Images-America-Louis-DeRose/dp/0738536520#|