Sunday, December 10, 2017

Maple Glen Dairy Farm - Mt. Pleasant

Yesterday afternoon Marybeth and I went to walk around the old Maple Glen Dairy Farm. I don't know much about this place. I've found mentions of it in old newspapers from the 1940's and 1950's. It's definitely different from researching mines and coke plants. I found that it was a working farm up into the 1960's and was operated by the Glick Brothers. They did home deliveries of milk. According to the Images Of America- Mount Pleasant Borough (2014, Friends Of The Mount Pleasant Public Library) book, the Glick Brothers owned a meatpacking plant on Rt. 31 west of town and their three farms bordering the town provided doorstep delivery of milk from the 1930's through the 1960's. 

 

I remember going to a dairy farm with my grandfather when I was a kid. It was somewhere in Mt. Pleasant. The barn here reminded me of it, but I would think the layout is similar to most dairy farms. 




Some of the milk caps I collected.


A Maple Glen milk bottle I found on Etsy.



Walking back to the farm.


Marybeth. One of my favorite people on the planet.




This twin silo is what caught my attention before anything else. I've never seen one like it.





This house is amazing.


One of the farm buildings.


Inside of this building.



A brick grill outside.


The crooked house.



Shelves inside the crooked house. We laughed because this was the first time we could explore an old house without even stepping inside.


Crooked house. Interior from the exterior.



Basement of the crooked house.


Other side of the crooked house.


One of the barns.



Inside the barn.





Collapsed wall.



Corn crib!




Another barn.


Vent falling victim to time and gravity.


A collapsed farm building.


Inside of the other barn.



Old boiler in one of the buildings. A cat lived in this building and wasn't a big fan of us being there.



Inside the cat's house.




Bottom of the silo's.


Looking up one of the silos.


3 comments:

  1. It sort of reminds me of the countryside around Gettysburg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked there as a teenager in the 70's

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandfather was farm manager in the 1950s ...they lived in a farmhouse there when I was born in 1955.

    ReplyDelete