There are about 150 ovens remaining of the Fort Palmer Mine and Coke Works. There once was a town here as well but only foundations remain. The ovens are great examples of the rectangular design of beehive ovens. This complex was developed circa 1907 and is thought to have closed in the 1930's. Nothing remains of the mine buildings other than foundations.
|These ovens were a newer innovation of typical beehive ovens. They were called Belgian Ovens and were developed in Germany. They were mechanically drawn by pushing the finished coke from one end out the other.|